Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 10:18:48AM -0500, Guy Maor wrote:
> Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> writes:
>
> > Is that correct (including the `g' placement) ?
>
> Actually I placed the `g' before the version in my package.  What is
> the correct way to do this?  What is Redhat doing?

It doesn't appear that RedHat is doing anything special.  They haven't
changed the names of any packages and also don't appear to have any
equivalent to our -altdev packages.  I wonder if they've done anything
with their package dependencies to ensure users don't wind up with
mixed libc5 and libc6 setups.  I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.
FWIW, I remember reading that their 4.8 beta does NOT yet support
upgrading an existing system.

> > Is it acceptable that libfoo5 depends on libfoo5g ? I think so
> > because:
> >   1) When upgrading, dselect will automagically grab the libc6 library
> >   2) Some documentation for example can be put in libfoo5g only.
>
> No, it is unacceptable.  When upgrading, dselect will NOT grab the
> libc6 library as its name is different.  The documentation is

dselect should automatically select libfoo5g if the libfoo5 package
being upgraded depends on it.

> cosmetic.  The dependency should in fact be *reversed* - libfoo5g
> should depend on libfoo5.  libfoo5 files will be overwritten by

Then what do you do when libfoo5 is obsoleted and libfoo5g is left
with an unresolvable dependency?

> libfoo5g files which will break binaries on the system.

This can be simply handled by having libfoo5g conflict with older
versions of libfoo5.

> > Is it acceptable that libfoo5-altdev depends on libfoo5g-dev ?
> > My reasons are:
> >   1) The library manpages can be put in the libfoo5g-dev package.
>
> Yes, that's correct.

No, this isn't good.  It forces users to remove libfoo5-altdev when
they want to install libfoo6(g)-dev.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road