Re: Installing from floppies

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Tim Sailer wrote:
>
> [ The original post was to simplify a installation from floppies when a
> package is two large for a disk and your only access to the net is from a
> dos based system ]
>
> > There are the programs 'split' and 'join' floating around. I believe
> > they are DOS ports of the gnu code. If so, we should put them in the tools
> > dir along with loadlin, rawrite, etc.
>
> I was cleaning out my inbox and came across this message.  I remember
> trying to find these gnu programs, but didn't see them.  Does anyone know
> where they are and how they can be used with the appropriate debian
> packages.  This does seem like something for the tools directory and an
> inclusion in the install.txt would also be good.

The files may be named splitz.exe and joinz.exe, but I don't have an url
for them. I had them for some years until I came across sploiner.

Sploiner provides both split and join and also can handle backup disks
and with it still work even if one disk is lost. It's easy to find with
ftp-search and there are binaries and source for unix, M$dos, amiga and
it shouldnt be to hard to port it to any other architecture Debian is
running on. Maybe it should be included in the disk-arch dirs.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn