Re: libfoo package depend on libfoog package?

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> > A user that doesn't want to upgrade his system to libc6, just upgrade
> > a single libc5-based library to another libc5-based version, only has to
> > add /usr/lib/libc5-compat, /usr/X11R6/lib/libc5-compat and /lib/libc5-compat
> > to his /etc/ld.so.conf to keep having a libc5 system, but using the
> > libc5-based libs from hamm. Am I wrong?
>
> Actually just /lib/libc5-compat and /usr/lib/libc5-compat

I'm confused.

" From: Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De>
Date: 24 Jun 1997 11:37:55 +0200
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: RFC: conventions for libc5 and libc6 based library packages in hamm

 Debian library policy supplement draft for libc5->libc6 migration

   This document is meant to tell what a Debian package providing a
   library should do to support both libc6 (glibc2) and libc5.
   Note that these requirements are for Debian 2.0 (codename hamm).
[...]
       based on  | package name | library location
         libc6   |   libfoog [1]| /usr/lib/libfoo.so.<ver>
         libc5   |   libfoo     | /usr/lib/libc5-compat/libfoo.so.<ver> [2]
[...]
    There are two exceptions from this rule. The shared linker
    ld-linux.so.1 and the C library files libc.so.5 and libm.so.5
    should still be located in /lib, not in /lib/libc5-compat.

    Packages based on X have to use /usr/X11R6 as prefix, not /usr.
..."

I thought that was the current policy. Has it been modified?
Not that it worries me one way or the other, but I would like to
be sure that we all are using the same directories.

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental