Re: trouble making a package (one other dumb question)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Richard Braakman wrote:

> Will Lowe wrote:
> > any way the Makefiles,  except to modify the clisp_whatever/debian/rules
> > makefile,  right?
> That's up to you.  Sometimes a small change to the Makefile makes the
> package easier to maintain.

Ok.  In this case,  the makefile is generated automagically by
./configure,  and then requires some hand-editing to include the proper
modules.  Maybe I'll make a "configure: " target in the rules file,  so I
can just make configure and then fix the makefile.

Last question:  Do I need to keep the source tree around in anticipation
of the next upstream release?  That is,  now I've got a
/usr/local/debian/clisp-1997.08.07/ tree on my disk that contains all the
relevant clisp source and debian control files,  etc. ... next time I go
to create a debian package of clisp (like when they release the new X11
libc6 packages),  how will deb-make know that the new .deb should be
clisp_1997.08.07_2 instead of ..._1?  And how do I generate a
debian-changes file for the new release that includes the changes from the
first release,  etc. without keeping all the source tree on my disk?

				Thanks for the help.

        	      For PGP Public Key,  visit my website.