libc6 __libc_utmp_file_name problem (FAQ?)

Hi, I'm running Debian 1.3.1, working on upgrading to glibc, but I'm having
some problems. Anything that's linked with libc6 bails:

[marshank@timg] timg$ gcc
gcc: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol: __libc_utmp_file_name
[marshank@timg] timg$

In the BUGS file in /usr/doc/libc6 it mentions a UTMP problem and that
there's no fix for it yet, but how can this be? It seems people are working
with glibc, so it can't be broken for everyone. Must be a different problem.

Using:
libc6_2.0.4-1.deb
ldso_1.9.5-1.deb
gcc_2.7.2.2-7.deb
bash_2.01-2.deb
libc6_2.0.4-1.deb

Luckily, everything else linked with libc5 is working fine. Good job, Debian
folks!

Another question. I'm planning on still developing under libc5, how can I
choose which gcc to use? (gcc-glibc, gcc-alt and libc5-altdev)

Thanks!

--
-Tim