Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

On 9 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Jeez, this is like deja vu all over again.

I know what you mean.  I'm sorry Manoj, I forgot you were the one with the
upgrade solution.  A careful rewording of my only problem:

If a user ignores your warnings not to install this on a non 2.0 system
(this is the part I forgot), and they remove a package from 1.3 that has a
call to install-info, there will be an error.  The probability of this
happening is about 0.1%, and it is against our suggestions, so you have it
covered.

I don't doubt your abilities to handle this, so I wasn't going to worry
about it.  The only reason I responded was because someone specifically
wanted to know why a script wasn't written, and requested that one be
made.  (Ok, there was a private response the the first message.)

Keep up the good work Manoj,
Brandon

P.S.  Just a thought.  (And if you want to discuss it further, let's do it
in private and summarize to the list.)  What about moving install-info to
dinstall-info, and run a search and replace in the
/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.prerm?  Seems like an instant upgrade, but I could be
missing something.  We could leave the sym-link and print the warning
if they install gnu's version, too.

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html
                  PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds