Re: inconsistency in libraries names

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 02:34:12AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On 24 Jun 1997, Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De> wrote:
>
> > Remarks:
> >
> >  [1] the name of a library package often includes the major version
> >      number of the library. If so, the 'g' should come before this
> >      number, e.g. libgdbmg1 as package name for the libc6 based
> >      runtime package for libgdbm.
>
> But we have a lot of libraries called the other way round. (One of
> the most notorious ones is xlib6g). Is that a bug, or just doesn't
> matter?

FWIW, when I first proposed the idea, I intended to have the 'g' after
the soname.  IMHO, it doesn't really matter and it would be much more
trouble than it's worth to change any existing packages.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road