Re: inconsistency in libraries names

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 02:34:12AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On 24 Jun 1997, Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De> wrote:
> > Remarks:
> >
> >  [1] the name of a library package often includes the major version
> >      number of the library. If so, the 'g' should come before this
> >      number, e.g. libgdbmg1 as package name for the libc6 based
> >      runtime package for libgdbm.
> But we have a lot of libraries called the other way round. (One of
> the most notorious ones is xlib6g). Is that a bug, or just doesn't
> matter?

FWIW, when I first proposed the idea, I intended to have the 'g' after
the soname.  IMHO, it doesn't really matter and it would be much more
trouble than it's worth to change any existing packages.

David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road