Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Hi,

Brandon> On 9 Sep 1997, Ben Pfaff wrote:
Ben> As a side note in this discussion, are the interfaces of the two
Ben> install-info programs reconcilable; i.e., could one write a
Ben> front-end script that detects which install-info program (GNU or
Ben> Debian) is needed, and then call either ginstall-info or
Ben> dinstall-info, depending?

	Umm, since they do two quite different things, maybe we should
 not be doing this anyway?

Ben> If this can be done, then it would be a Good Thing to write,
Ben> IMHO.

Brandon> I wrote a script for this, but no one seemed to care for it.
Brandon> I thought it was a good thing too, needing only a simple
Brandon> switch/case statement.  Maybe everyone was getting it
Brandon> confused with the first script I wrote which was a bad thing.
Brandon> If anyone has the gnu install-info options (i.e. the top of
Brandon> the man page), send it to me and I'll repost the script for
Brandon> comment.

	Oh, I liked the script, I just think we should not be writing
 it in the first place. We have two programs that do two very
 different  though related, tasks, and we should not be adding to the
 confusion by keeping the same names here.

	If someone createes a dinstall-info package, modelled after
 the current menu package, that creates and recreates the info/dir
 file based on snippets included by packages, then we can have all
 packages that put stuff into the dir file adhere to the new standard
 by 2.0 release.

	The script, no matter how brilliant, is the wrong
 approach. Time to stop hiding the dust under the carpet, grasp the
 nettles firmly, and create dupdate-info.

	manoj
--
 "I'm a living saint, but you can just call me Sister Cindy." Sister
 Cindy