Re: upstream author asks not to do a package

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I expressed interest in doing a package of a particular product
> > to the author, and he asked me not to do a package, but
> > noted that the license says I am free to anyway if I want to.
> > He specifically asked if I was associated with Debian
> > (it is mentioned in my .signature). I have not heard back
> > from him why yet, but I don't want to do a package against
> > his wishes, even if we can. Has anyone else ever had an
> > experience like this? Why would an author be against a package
> > of his software?

[..]
> As a maintainer, I wouldn't go against his requests -- unless the package
> was a fairly important one.  Even then, I'd try to get approval.

But I've actually never (as far as I remember, anyway) asked the
upstream maintainer! Usually the copyright was GPL, so why bother
asking? It _could_ be argued that the only thing Hamish did
wrong was asking... (although I don't know what copyright
the package he wanted actually had).

And then, once you've got the responce form the upstream author
saying "please don't do it", you've got a problem. You _could_ post
a message to debian-devel asking people to package up foo, and explaining
that for technical/personal reasons, you cannot do it (but don't
mention what those reasons are, and give us time to forget that you
sent this email). On the other hand, I think I just would put my
time in something else.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj