Re: Multi-architecture suport for Debian kernel packages

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> > I think that the goal of Linux development is to merge all
> > architecture-specific modifications into the one true upstream
> > Linux kernel. Last time I watched this the work on some
> > architectures (especially m68k) seemed to be parallel to Linus'
> > Linux development.
>
> It's not allways possible to just merge the two.
> [ ... ]
> IMHO the proposal is one which is workable, whereas merging is not.

Wrong.  Jes plans to have Linux/m68k source integrated with the native
source by Linux 2.2.  However 2.2 is not about to be released anytime
RSN, *that* is why we need the suggested changes.

It would be very wrong IMHO to just abandon this proposal and wait for
2.2.

[ Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> writes: ]

> > Your proposal looks well-engineered, but IMHO it adds too much
> > hassle for little savings. (20 MB don't count as saving to me,
> > even on wire. YMMV.)

How did you get the 20Mb figure?  The advantage of this proposal is
that there is only one huge Linux source package, the native (i386)
one, the extra bulk added is for arch-specific patches which for m68k
is going to be ~500k.

--
James