Re: Multi-architecture suport for Debian kernel packages

Sven Rudolph wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> > [snip}
>
> I think that the goal of Linux development is to merge all
> architecture-specific modifications into the one true upstream Linux
> kernel. Last time I watched this the work on some architectures
> (especially m68k) seemed to be parallel to Linus' Linux development.

It's not allways possible to just merge the two.

> IMHO your proposal tries to solve this on the wrong side. We should
> encourage the kernel people to get their acts together, but we
> shouldn't build our system around their deficiencies.

IMHO the proposal is one which is workable, whereas merging is not.

> For Debian the final thing is one kernel-source package per Linux
> version (as indicated by the version number, like 2.0.25), and this
> already includes the architecture-specific patches. If it is easy to
> merge the architecture-specific patches without breaking the i386
> parts this could be done immediately. (IMHO this has to work,
> otherwise the architecture-specific patches are of very low quality
> ...)
>
> Your proposal looks well-engineered, but IMHO it adds too much hassle
> for little savings. (20 MB don't count as saving to me, even on
> wire. YMMV.)
>
> >       A nice side effect of this proposal is that we can handle
> >  arbitrary patches as well, which could allow the authors of kernel
> >  patches to say, for example, I have a nice new driver for device XXX,
> >  to use in your kernel, get kernel-patch-yyy.deb, and rebuild your
> >  kernel to use it.
>
> So we will have another 50 packages. Soon someone will write a package
> generator for linuxhq ...

Why have it in a seperate package? The changes shouldn't be too much and
could all be in the one Debian kernel package and be suplied during the
installation process.
Haveing the patches seperate will stop breaking the kernel for other
architektures and the patching during installation makes it transparent.

>         Sven
> --
> Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/

May the source be with you.