Portable dpkg - local changelogs

[I am looking into porting dpkg to a non-linux platforms (Solaris and
 IRIX); this is a question that arose in the process.]

I really like many of the things in the way dpkg organizes the process
of maintenainig packages, but I am unsure how to maintain a changelog
of *my* local changes to a package, being further down the stream than
the debian maintainer.

I definitely does not want to use ./debian/changelog, since I will get
conflicts with the next proper release, in all but the simplest cases.

I can of course maintain this information in any file I like, but the
hidden agenda is that I would really like to extend
debian-changelog-mode.el so that it will work both for me as
downstream maintainer as well as the real debian maintainer.

One suggestion could be for debian-changelog-mode to know about yet
another file, for instance `./debian/localchangelog', which the local
maintainer has free control over. This does not cater for the
situation where there is more maintainers down the stream, but I think
it would work in most cases.

I do not think that the situation corresponds to `Interrim Releases'
(Debian Developers Reference, section 3) since this information mostly
is for my own good, and because the need for making such a "local"
release will probably happen almost every time there is an upstream
release.

Am I shooting at small birds with big cannons here?

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech