Re: Lists of Maintainers

> Hi,
> >>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>
> Jim> I've got a bit too many things on my plate to do this in a timely
> Jim> manner. Nevertheless, I think it's pretty important.
> Jim> Does anyone else want to take this over?
>
> 	I'll bite. What were you planning on doing? Can we get an
>  effort started by just doing a maintainer ping, asking for the
>  location (city, country, latitude, longitude) and massage it into a
>  xearthe file?

Basically, I'd start by just sending a message to debian-devel.
Many maintainers will want to send you their location, and I don't
really thing any maintainer who doesn't want to has got to do so.

But one thing: _Please_ also ask everybody how they feel about
  redistribution of the supplied information. I wouldn't be against
  my coordinates being distributed in a debian xearth package, or
  even somewhere globally visable on www.debian.org, but others may,
  and you could get into trouble if you didn't ask this before.

Somethign like:

How can we redistribute the information about your location:
  [ ]  Can only be distributed amoungst debian developpers
  [ ]  Can be put in a debian xearth package, but not distributed
       outside (this is a _very_ silly option, but the current
       statment in xearth.debian, see below).
  [ ]  Please consider this GPL (or free-er), can be distributed
       to anywhere.

This _is_ important, as the current xearth.debian file has the note
that it can only be distributed in a _debian_ xearth package. This
means (DFSG) that that debian xearth package can _not_ be distributed
with debian[1], so that it cannot be distributed at all. For this reason,
all people listed in xearth.debian need to be written and asked for
permission to distribute this in a _true_ (DFSG) debian xearth package.

> This is lo-tech, but is easy to do (I'll collate all
>  the data), and will set up an fairly upto date file for all people
>  willing to have this data made public.

I'd love it if somebody did this, thanks!
I remember that the old efford also included information about
preferred/home email, and "debian" email.

So, the questionaire may look like this:

----------------
  What are your xearth coordinates (note that west of greenich is negative)?

  What's your "home" email?

  What's your "debian" email?

  How can we redistribute the information about your location:
    [ ]  Can only be distributed amoungst debian developpers
    [ ]  Please consider it GPL.
----------------

(note that I removed the middle, currently default, copyright option, as
it really is useless. The first one may be of some use, although obviously
it wouldn't help new (not yet) maintainers find a maintainer nearby)

> 	What do people think? if it is acceptable, I'll send out a
>  developer ping explaining this and asking for a pgp-signed reply with
>  location data.

I'm not sure we actually need pgp signed statements (who am I going to
hurt if I lie about my location? -- that's different with packages).
But it would probably not hurt.

Footnote:
 [1] the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) state that the copyright may
     not discrimminate against people/orginaisations. more explicitly,
     copyrights that allow distribution by debian only can not
     fullfill the DFSG. So, the xearth.debian file currently doesn't
     fullfill it, and thus cannot be distributed as a real debian package.

     From the current xearth.debian file:
      ### This file may not be distributed in a public xearth package, or
      ### any other public package; it may however be distributed in a
      ### Debian xearth package.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj