Re: Uploaded pppupd 0.23-1 (source i386) to master

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Jaldhar> Description:
>   Jaldhar>  pppupd     - Keeps a ppp connection alive
>   Jaldhar> Changes:
>   Jaldhar>  pppupd (0.23-1) unstable; urgency=low
>   Jaldhar>  .
>   Jaldhar>   * Initial Release.
>
> What's the point?  pppd already knows how to do that. From pppd(8)
>
>        persist
>               Do not  exit  after  a  connection  is  terminated;
>               instead try to reopen the connection.

True.  But for some reason I have never been able to get this to work
right.  What happens is the phone begins dialing then just stops half way
through.  I then can't dial out again without a reboot.  (My modem is
internal.)  I'm sure it is some flaw in my hardware but pppupd works for
me and pppd doesn't.  Besides pppupd can launch a script upon bringing the
connection up or down so you could more complicated things than just
restarting if you wished.

So all in all I agree it's not the most useful program but not entirely
useless either.

-- Jaldhar