Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

On Tue 19 Aug 1997, Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net> wrote:

> Shaya Potter wrote:
>
> > On Tue 19 Aug 1997, Emilio Lopes <Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > My two Pfennige here: /usr/bin/gcc should *always* be GCC.
> > > /usr/bin/egcc should *always* be EGCC. /usr/bin/cc can be either GCC
> >
> > > or EGCC, acording to the sysadmin wishes.
> > >
> > > If this can't be achived with update-alternatives, the solution with
> >
> > > environment vars seems ok to me.
> > >
> > > /opt is a poor "solution". It's a lazy hack and it's not compatible
> > > with the (high) Debian quality-standards.
> > >

> > I don't thinks a symlink solution would be neccesary. i.e. I believe
> > egcs is
> > going to support the gcc method of callind different compilers. i.e.
> > -V and
> > - -b, so a shell script that acts as a wrapper for gcc and egcs and
> > pgcc or
> > whatever else comes around can be made to call gcc with the right
> > options, so
> > the right compiler is used.  We can then use the same system we are
> > using with
> > altgcc.
>
> It may not be that simple.  egcc accepts new options which don't exist
> on gcc, and in the future may lose options which gcc needs.  For now you
> can use "gcc -b i486-pc-linux-gnu" to run egcs via the normal gcc
> frontend (minus a few new options), but that may not be true next week.
>
> I've decided emilio has the best idea.  If I've got to use
> update-alternatives, I'll use it on cc and c++.  gcc will always be gcc,
> egcc will be egcs until it becomes the standard gcc package.
>
> Any objections before I start?

hmm.  are you sure that egcs is going to lose options that gcc needs, cause if
it's not, couldn't we use egcs as the standard gcc frontend, and have it
default to gcc-2.7.2.2 backend.

I guess that's not an option if egcs is going to lose options gcc needs.

Shaya