Re: Way to switch easily (Was: Re: Egcs, gcc, and Debian)

SirDibos wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > for a package, it would be really nice to be able to have a way to
> > globally switch between compilers, but I haven't the faintest idea what
> > would be involved..
>
> Have a "switcher" to flip symlinks.  have gcc be a symlink to either egcc
> or gcc, all ov which stay in their own hierarchy.
>
> For instance, maybe have egcc and gcc.orig in /usr/bin, and gcc be a
> symlink to one ov the two.  Its quick, dirty, but can anyone think of any
> reason atall why it wouldnt work?
>
> Maybe a script like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ln -s /usr/bin/$1 /usr/bin/gcc
>
> Manong Dibos

What do we have
CC = gcc
in makefiles for? Thats exacly where the compiler should be changed.
The configure script should then look at a global variable or accept
--defaultcc=egcc or something like that.
I don't think it is necessary to have a link to point to the right
compiler and debian would be the first to do something like that. All
other C/C++ compilers work with the CC= option, so we should do the
same.

May the source be with you.
			Mrvn