Re: help, Who modifies /etc/services ?

On Aug 17, Giuliano Procida wrote:
> > Hello, I am building a the new package asp, Address Search Protocol,
> > which requires an entry in /etc/services under the section labeled "
> > Services added for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution".
>
> > Do I need to register 27374/udp with Debian (and with whom?), or it
> > the task of postinst to add it to the table ?
>
> As the other poster said, /etc/services is part of netbase (on my
> system; he actually mentioned netstd) and you need to contact the
> maintainer to sort this out.

Correct. There should be some information about it in the policy
(at least Christian planned to add it to the policy).

> Without a response from the maintainer, you may wish to take up the
> other poster's suggestion of editing the /etc/services in your
> postinst, however, I would a) test for the line existing first, b) ask
> the admin before adding it, as c) I believe that script-editing
> conffiles is against current policy; however, I may be wrong.

It should be in the policy. It is a bad idea to modify conffile from
a script.

BTW: I've added the asp entry to /etc/services of the netbase package.
I'll upload netbase-2.17 in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C