Re: Need advice for migration to pgsql

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> >      Also, do not use the
> >      pg_dumpall script from v6.0 or everything will be owned by the
> >      postgres super user.
>
> Well, couldn't you just do the dump in the postinst then?

Provided the postgres95 postmaster is running :(

> > Looking into the details, I don't see a clear upgrade path to cover
> > all possible cases.. I can't even assume the postgres95 postmaster is
> > running and postgres95 didn't provide a startup script in /etc/init.d
> > (pgsql will).
>
> Maybe just prompt, then do a killall.

On an aside, better:
  start-stop-daemon --stop --exec /usr/bin/postmaster --user postgres

> > Taking into account a comment from Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> as
> > well as a private email from David R Baker <dabaker@InfoAve.Net> on
> > the same subject I will look into letting pgsql coexist with its
> > predecessor postgres95. This will necessitate changing the port on
> > wich the pgsql postmaster is listening as well as using different data
> > and library directories and diverting postgres95 executables that are
> > replaced by upgraded pgsql versions.
>
> That's a bad idea.  Why would anybody want to have postgres95 hanging
> around?  And definitely don't change the port for the postmaster - or
> any client/server apps and drivers that want to communicate to pgsql
> will have to be changed too.  My guess is that hardly anyone is using
> the postgres95 package - so don't spend too much effort trying to do
> everything automatically.

If you are running a db application based on postgres95 you will only
switch to pgsql after porting the application. But you're right: in
this case you won't install pgsql on a production system.

> I like "pgsql".  It's shorter and has less vowels.  :-)

Fine, 2 : 1 :-)