Re: Color schemes worth a bug report? (Re: lynx colors for ease of use)

On Aug 13, SirDibos wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Didn't you read the mail from Martin? IMO, a light default background is no
> > good idea, because people do not expect it from a console program. Color
> > shemes are highly personal, and so the default should be as unobtrusive as
> > possible. It is better for your eyes anyway. It is ok to change the colors
> > of the links to mak ethem readbale, but let's leave the black background, ok?
> > It is a pain to your eyes, wenn you work at night and start lynx.
>
> I have to disagree here:  Having the light background would bring lynx
> into sync with slrn (which also has a light background).  I also usually
> work at night in the dark, and it doesnt bother me much.  I appreciate
> being able to read things easily.  And blue on black, no matter how
> bright, is NOT easy to read.  Or at least, not pretty to read anyhoo.
> Same with red.

Ok. Blue is bad in this case, I admit. Green and Yellow perhaps?
I will try this.

> If things are this bad, maybe it best to just go back to the old
> monochrome scheme, which was at least readable, eh? ;)  Maybe at the
> install time you could be prompted which "color" scheme to add?

I have no problems with black and white.

> eg,
>
> There are several color schemes, some of which are easier to read.  The
> popular ones are:
> 1) The old monochrome scheme
> 2) White background (very easy to read, perhaps a bit jarring in the dark)
> 3) Black background
> 4) Keep your old one.
> Note:  You can customize the colors yourself by editing /etc/lynx.cfg
>
> Please choose one of 1 , 2, 3 or 4:
>
> Comments anyone?  It could be "yet another" one of the little things that
> makes debian nice and user friendly, easy to use, and the superior
> distribution.

Many people complain about too much interactivity at install time. They
don't want to sit a few hours (install via ftp!) at the monitor to answer
questions like that. We can put several color shemes in the lynx.conf and
comment the out. Users can then remove the comments to choose a color
scheme. A single line

"To choose colors, edit /etc/lynx.conf"

would suffice then. For more advanced configuration, let's wait for the
ADMINtool.

OK?

Marcus

--