How should I handle libraries?

I am packaging the orphaned package ncpfs. I have just found out that
the original package installs a library in /lib. How should I handle this?
I was thinking about providing the library with my package and then
have the postinst run ldconfig. Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks for helping a new(bie) maintainer :-)

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department
Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323