Problem building new perl-tk for unstable.

I used to be able to do the following to trick perl into setting
things up to run from "/usr", but actually installing in

	perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl

would handle the build, and

	make PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr install

would put everything under debian/tmp/usr

This no longer works.  Some of it does, but PREFIX is ignored for at
least manpages.  Is this a broken behavior in perl's installer, or is
there some other incantation I should be using?