Re: Re^2: Link to Japanese Debian?

Bill Mitchell <mitchell@mozcom.com> wrote:
> On 30 Jul 1997, Marco Budde wrote:
>
> > We should start to include foreign package descriptions in the control
> > file for important languages like Spanish, France and German. Be should
> > set up teams for this translation work. The package maintainer could send
> > his English description to a mailing list and will get a translation from
> > every team.
>
> Better, the control file structure should first be extended to
> support Descriptions in multiple languages.  Only after that is
> done, the package maintainer could accept translated descriptions
> (probably from one designated source per language, which would do
> the translations or vet translations doen by others), integrate
> the translated descriptions into the packages, and update the
> distribution.

Wouldn't it be better to translate the whole Packages file at once
instead if doing a separated translation for each package?  I think
dealing with translations for many languages would imply a serious
burden for every maintainer, while translating a single (although big)
packages file is a job that can be reasonably performed by a small
(and easy to coordinate) team of translators.  Additionally, I think
it is possible to write a tool for comparing Packages files in such a
way that translators can know which package descriptions have changed
and which ones haven't, thus reducing a lot the workload imposed on
translation teams.

What do people think?

M. S.