Re: source dependencies - and recomndations

On %M %N, Bill Mitchell wrote
> It would seem, then, that Depends vs. Recommends split is not sufficiently
> explicit.  The i386 autocompiler and the m68k aqutocompiler both need
> their own explicit set of Depends entries.  Given that, and the policy
> that the purpose of all of this is to make it clear how to build the
> package as it was built for Debian, it seems that the need for Recommends
> disappears.

that true. we could implement Source-Recommends, but the autocompiler
will use both fields, and don't care that some packages are only
recommended. but i still doubt, that anyone will profit from the extra
work of splitting to -Depends and -Recommends. After all, either you
build a debian package, so you get the debian source, or you don't build
a debian package, and in that case most people use source from sunsite
or only the orig.tar.gz from debian source. in these cases, they will
not see the "Source-Recommends", so it is useless.

andreas