Re: Diety UI draft

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Behan Webster wrote:

> I was under the impression Brandon was talking about problems with
> downloaded deb files filling up your partition before they were
> installed.  What I was trying to say that although this surely is
> a problem, it is just an implementation not a UI problem.  The
> implementation should surely try to minimize downloaded remote deb
> files filling up a local filesystem.

This is correct, I was refering to the size of the downloaded deb files.

> I can see several solutions to this implementation problem:
>
> 1) Include the size of all downloaded deb files in the "needed space"
>      count on the status bar.
>   PRO: It means downloading remote files will not fill you local
>         filesystem.
>   CON: It means that you're needed space is artificially high.
>        It is a hack.

1b) Make another entry in the status bar for the download size.  I
believe this may have been mentioned from another suggestion refering to
the download time.

> 2) Intelligently install packages to the system as you download them
>      (i.e. download deb, install it, then delete it.)
>   PRO: It means downloading remote files will not fill you local
>         filesystem.
>   CON: You still need space enough for one package.

If that's your con, you have lots of problems.  Implementation con,
forking off this many calls to dpkg (or are we rewritting this) could be
very process/disk/time intensive.

> The thing is that every UNIX system needs a certain amount of
> operating disk space.  You can not expect to run a UNIX system
> with little to no avaiable disk space.  There should almost always
> be enough avaliable disk space to do at lease option #2 above (unless
> perhaps you're installing something like xbooks! 8) )

True, however, lets keep the newbies in mind who may have only given up
100 megs of their win95 drive to test this thing.  We don't want to give
them a bad first impression.

> I repeat though, the UI has nothing to do with this implementation
> detail.

Unless we go with 1b.  The status bar could become configurable with 10
to 20 (ok, maybe less) options that the user picks from to fill in 3 or 4
spaces.  This is probably something to hold off on, diety's stack is
looking high enough.

> I will pass this problem on to the appropriate person in the deity
> team.

Thanks, I hope you aren't starting to feel like a mail router :-)

Brandon