Re: non-debian kernels -- bizzar?

On 28 Jul 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

[snip]
> 	The question arises: how often is this scenario going to
>  happen? Is is worth catering to this rare case (likely to happen to
>  an experienced hacker who can quite easily get out of it), and
>  dilute the protection for the novice user who can get into trouble? I
>  think that people using the standard packaging methods are by far the
>  norm when you consider novice users.

But what's the problem with adding a flashing text that says ``you will
not be able to reboot your system if you don't know what you are doing
now'' ?

I think the major difference between Debian and most other commercial
distributions is, that the latter care more about newbies (since they want
to sell many CDs) while we seem to focus more on experienced users. (I
know, we are trying hard to get our system more simple but I think it is
still this way.)

Thus, I would also like to support the `kernel hacker' using Debian, who
might want to install the package by error :-) and wants to get rid of it.

Please query the user in the prerm script if he/she _really_ knows what
he/she is doing. If you get an acknowdlege, you can safely remove the
kernel images.

Thanks,

Chris

[snip]
> pps: I think the correct spelling is bizarre.

I don't think the kernel package is `bizarre', but this discussion! 8-)

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com