Re: non-debian kernels -- bizzar?

> At the moment, the debian kernel packages assume that everyone has
> the debian kernel-image installed.
>
> I've always viewed those debian kernels as something only usefull to
> for the first day of running Debian, be able to build your own
> kernel, and then get rid of any debian kernels, and debian kernel
> packages.
>
> Apparently, the debian-kernel package maintainer views this as "a
> bizzar situation". (i.e., using debian-kernels).
[...]
> I suggested to change that "then return error" to something like
> "then ask user for confirmation that he really wants to remove this
> kernel, and if user doesn't answer "yes", then return error".
>
> The debian-kernel maintainer views my request as very uncommon, and
> suggested that I raised the issue on debian-devel. So, here I am.

Personally I don't like the kernel packages and the like, too. I'm
primarily a kernel hacker, and only second a Debian developer, so I
always have lots of patched kernel hanging around :-)

I think I just never had your problem, because I never had a kernel
package installed :-) But it seems desireable to be able to remove
also the current kernel if the user is sure what he does.

Roman