Re: Bug Reporting system

> Clint Adams wrote:
> >
> > > The thing is that the bug will also be postet to debian-devel, where it
> > > doesn't belong if it is architecture specific. It should be send to
> > > debian-arch instead. For this some sort of architecture field is
> > > neccessary. One could have it implemented by adding -arch to the
> > > packagename, but thats probaly just as tidious as having an seperate
> > > arch field.
> >
> > Many users have difficulty determining which package is responsible for
> > a problem.  How are they going to determine if a bug is architecture-specific?
> >

> Have the architecture as default and if it is a general bug the
> maintainer can forward it to all other or to a main bug list.

Please, take a look at debian-bug.

I see quite a number of bugs every day, but I really cannot
remember the last time I saw an architecture-dependant bug.
Yes, you managed to come up with 2 (if I reacall correctly), but
really, the fackt is that 99.5% or more of all bugs are as architetecture
independant as is possible.

Bugs like:
  - anything missing/wrong in ./debian/* is bound to be architecture
    independant. Yes, also any missing "$(ARCH)" stuff is architectue
    independant once it is noticed on some architecture, as it just
    requires a change to the archtecture indepentant source.
  - missing files, incorrect file modes, (not)gzipping of files,
    whatever
  - incorrect configuration files.

If you care to take a look at debian-bugs, you'll see that my
99.5% estimate is probably very conservative, and should really
be more than 99.95%. So, why go to so much trouble for at most
0.5% of bugs?

> May the source be with you.

All bugs in the source are bugs to be fixed by the maintainer
of the debian source package.

Soon, I'm sure, we _will_ have the auto-compiled stuff working.
Then there will only be source package maintainers
(maintainers upload their source/diffs only, and they get automatically
compiled), and no architecture maintainer will exist for each given
package.

Or do you want the owner of the x86 machine that does the
auto-compling of the i386, to recieve (almost) _all_ bugs filed
against every debian package, just in case the bug is only
in the i386 version. Then that owner reads all of those bugs,
and forwards all (rather, 99.95%) of them to the source package
maintainer?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj