Re: Status of Debian Policy (crontab)

Sorry for the delay in sending this, I've only just got mail access
working.

On Jul 6, Christian Schwarz wrote
> TOPIC 3: policy for cron jobs
> -----------------------------
>    Packages may not touch the configuration file /etc/crontab, nor
>    may they modify the files in /var/spool/cron/crontabs .
>
>    If a package wants to install a job that has to be executed via
>    cron, it should place a file with the name if the package in one
>    of the following directories:
>
>         /etc/cron.daily
>         /etc/cron.weekly
>         /etc/cron.monthly

inn has a file in /etc/news/crontab which currently isn't used. I'll file
a bug (if it hasn't already been done). However it has some entries in it
like this:

# Every hour, run an rnews -U. This is not only for UUCP sites, but
# also to process queud up articles put there by in.nnrpd in case
# innd wasn't accepting any articles.
#
14      *       * * *           rnews -U

Although you could schedule "at" jobs in the cron.daily file, this seems
ugly. I'm not a (proper) SysAdmin so I don't know how best to deal with
this sort of thing.

> TOPIC 9: new control fields
>
> It has been proposed that all packages include more information about
> the upstream maintainer(s), URLs, license, etc.

I'd like to see a "last modified" field. It is often useful to know when
the last upload of a package was.

Adrian

--
.signature in post