Re: Packaging system improvements

On Jul 7, Erik Andersen wrote
> On Jul 7, Brian White wrote
> > > 1. We need to add a "Keywords: ..." line to the control file for each
> > >    package. However, the success of this depends more on the keywords
> > >    individual maintainers put in their packages keyword lists than the
> > >    presence of special features for it.
>
> It seems to me that the proposed "Keywords:" field is supposed to
> help organize the distribition, but the "Section:" field is already
> doing this.  The current sections divide the distribution by category
> already, without the need for any new field.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I lost mail access for a while.

How about a full hierarchal structure than the two levels we currently
have - which are non-free/control/main as the first level and then
base/web/doc/devel/... as the second level.

What I'm thinking of enables you to have many levels within a section -
e.g.:

/web/
     server/
            boa.deb
            wn.deb
            apache/
                   apache.deb
                   apache-ssl.deb
     authoring/
               hotmetal.deb
               hotdog.deb
               netscape/
                        netscape3.deb
                        netscape3US.deb
                        netscape4.deb
                        netscape4US.deb
     browser/
             lynx.deb
             mosaic.deb
             netscape/
                      netscape3.deb
                      netscape3US.deb
                      netscape4.deb
                      netscape4US.deb

The two netscape directories could be symlinks (or similar).

Adrian

--
.signature in post