Re: non-free/contrib policy

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> It is fairly simple to set up something that excludes all directories called
> 'non-us' from ftp.debian.org, and then pick up only directories called non-us
> from one of the free-world sites, so we should structure the archive to allow
> this.
>
> How about if ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de did this merge, then sites like
> sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk could be encouraged to mirror from there, and so publish
> the complete version of Debian (i.e. the uncensored version with all the
> non-us packages included).

If dresden is going to do the merge, there's no reason to put the
empty directories on master.  It just complicates mirroring from
non-US sites as they must exclude an extra directory.

The non-US sites can mirror everything from dresden, or they can
mirror everything from master (or wherever) and mirror only the
`non-us' directories from dresden.

Guy