Re: e2fsprogs 1.10-4 doesn't work on partitions > 2GB

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>    Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 14:41:14 +0200
>    From: Yann Dirson <dwitch@monge.univ-mlv.fr>
>
>    Jarno Paananen writes:
>     > just installed e2fsprogs 1.10-4 and on the next boot noticed that
>     > I shouldn't have. All accesses to >2GB area fail in this fashion:
>     > (I don't have the exact message...)
>     > Block xxxxx seek failure (Success) in inode scan. Ignore <y>
>     >
>     > My surprise was to see that (Success) in there...
>
>    Mmmh... the only difference in the binaries should be that 1.10-4 is
>    the first package I compiled with libc6 (unless I broke the make
>    process, but I don't think so, as it works perfectly for me)
>

> If the accesses to >2GB are failing, that means that somehow you've
> linked with a version of libc that has a broken implementation of
> llseek().

So the question is, does glib-2.0.4 have a broken llseek.  Ted, have their
been any other reports against e2fsprogs in relation to large file systems
and glibc.  Maybe s/o can check the implementation of the function in
libc5 and compare it to it's libc6 counterpart.  I would, except I
wouldn't know what I'm looking for, so someone more compentant than me
should do it.

On a side issue, the man page for llseek is way out of date, I just
checked it, and it said it couldn't deal with thing > 2GB.

Shaya