Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Shaya Potter wrote:

> People have said, we can't include packages from non-free on CD because
> the opens us up to legal complications.  Why not pnly include the packages
> which we have explicit premission to include.  Maybe get a form written up
> that the authors can fill out and pgp sign if we want to be anal about it.
> (not that being anal in this case is all that bad)

As I understand it, it's not that we want to be anal about getting
permission, it's that we want to be anal (perhaps "dogmatic" would
be a better word here) about the DFSG.  We now insist that all
DFSG violators (except for DFSG item 2 violators) go in non-free.
Non-free is not any longer just for software which we judge to be
not freely distributable.

I downloaded the qt1 binary and took a look at the docs, as you
suggested in an earlier posting .  It seems to me that qt1 violates
several aspects of the DFSG.

DFSG-3:  Derived Works
            The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must
            allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license
            of the original software.
DFSG-4:  Integrity of The Author's Source Code
            The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in
            modified form _only if [... qt1 doesn't comply ...]
qt1-LICENSE:
    You may copy this version of the Qt toolkit provided that the entire
    archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole, including this notice.
qt1-copyright:
    [...] we do not allow people to redistribute changed versions of Qt.
    Note that the 0.98 license doesn't allow even _you_ to distribute
    those three .deb files.  But make them anyway, and we'll bless them
    specially, so anyone can distribute them.

DFSG-5:  No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
            The license must not discriminate against any person or group of
            persons.
DFSG-6:  No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
            The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the
            program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not
            restrict the program from being used in a business, [...]
qt1-LICENSE:
    If you are paid to develop something with Qt or it is a part of your job
    the following conditions also apply:  [...]

DFSG-7:  Distribution of License
            The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the
            program is redistributed without the need for execution of an
            additional license by those parties.
qt1-README:
    If you are using Qt for developing commercial or other non-free software,
    you must have a professional license. Please see
    http://www.troll.no/pricing.html for how to obtain this.