Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

Lalo Martins writes:
 > > Perhaps something like the following:
 > >
 > > On a Debian FTP site or mirror (US and Non-US):
 > >     Debian-X.Y --> codename
 > >     codename/
 > >       Debian-X.Y/     # main distribution
 > >       Non-US/         # would be empty, or README only, in U.S.
 > >       No-profit/      # no resale for profit
 > >       ...             # the rest of the stuff from above
 > >
 > > The subdirs below codename/ would all have a consistent structure
 > > (source, doc, binary-{arch}, etc).
 >
 > Not exactly. Debian-X.Y/*/ are still split into sections, while others have
 > packages directly. What about: (for ftp, CDs, user's local systems alike)

No. What we currently have apart from 'main' is 'contrib' and
'non-free', both of which recently got sectionning; this is a really
*good* thing, and I think all new dists should be built this way.

 > This can make it hard to burn non-official CDs, I don't know - but it's
 > consistent, and consistence is one of the reasons I use Debian in the first
 > place.

I don't consider consistent, as non-free and main would be organized
quite differently (the difference seems at least quite important to
me!)

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>