Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

[I hate quoting at the end, but there's always a first time :-)]

I have to agree with Enrique. Although I _too_ wasn't present at the vote, I
believe we should have a clear distinction of what can't be freely _sold_
and what can't be freely _used_. So CD manufacturers could pack up as many
packages as possible (there would be more packages in official CDs too).

I'd suggest changing the (rather misleading) names contrib and non-free.
Contrib doesn't say anything; it is most times non-free as well, or it would
be in main!

Maybe starting with hamm a better categorization could be used. Like:

  -Non-US    (already exists)
  -No-profit (can't be sold for profit)
  -No-sell   (can't be sold even for cost)
  -Rest-use  (restricted use)*
  -Stub      (installers - these can always be sold as they're made by us)*
  -Depprobl  (free stuff that depends on non-free stuff, like motif apps)*

This makes things clearer for admins and CD vendors. Stuff marked with a *
would go into official CDs.

Maybe I overdid it, or maybe the names are lamish... but the suggestion is
open. I really think it's important.

On Jul 14, Enrique Zanardi wrote
> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Fernando wrote:
>
> > Let me clarify this issue a little:
> >
> > There is a new document called "Debian Free Software Guidelines" available
> > in the Web site. It overrides any other previous statement which contradicts
> > the new one.
> >
> > This document defines which software qualifies for inclusion in the Debian
> > Distribution. It also states that Debian aknowledges the need users have
> > for software which does not comply with the Guidelines. The non-free
> > directory is provided for exactly that purpose. Any other previous
> > definition of "non-free" has been superceeded by the new Guidelines.
>
> AFAIK, the guidelines do provide our definition of free software, but
> don't say a word about where to put non-free software. They say that only
> "free software", as it is defined in the guidelines, is allowed to go in
> the main section, and non-free software isn't, but that's all.
>
> What to put in the non-free section and what to put in the contrib section
> are questions that still are answered in our policy manual, not in the
> guidelines.

[]s,
                                               +----
--