Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.

> > When I use a piece of software, and spend time to learn it, I want
> > to be sure that:
> >   1) I'll be able to run it in five year's time on my Gamma++10^23Mhz
> >      Processor.

> different vendors and users may have whatever different and unpredictable
> needs. And we can't serve all of them at the same time. And my claim is
> that most venors care on whether package could be redistributed _now_
> and most users are interested in getting as much as possible software
> on their CD to install on their current machine _now_ and not in five
> years and not on a different platform.

Yes, "your claim is". "My claim is" that Debian users want to be
able to modify the software.

The Social Contact Survey showed that out of some 80 votes, only
two maintainers supported "Your claim", wheras the some 70
wholehartedly supported "My claim" (a.o. we need to be able to
at least distribute patches against software).

Yes, I know that vote was conducted by Debian maintainers, not
by developers, but trust me, the maintainers know what's best
for the users: short-sighted "as much broken software now" isn't
what you want in the long run.

Software doesn't change all that fast:
gcc, emacs, X, linux, all have been around for more than 5 years.
you wouldn't want to learn using gcc/emacs/X now, set up a company
with traned staff tomorrow (using those packages), and find out
day-after-tomorrow that you cannot run your software on the
most cost-effective hardware. It's not gonna happen with
gcc/emacs/X, but we[70 out of 80 debian maintainers] just want
to make sure it isn't gonna happen to you at all. Trust us.

BTW, 10^23MHz was just the "summed paralell frequency" (marketing
gimmic, it's just the frequency of each CPU * number of CPU's).
In 5 years time, am not going to settle for anything less than a Gamma++
that has 10^15 CPU's (about 10^8 atoms/CPU (the're RISC CPU's!), each of
which has a clock frequency of 10^14Hz, which should be
possible as each CPU is about cube-root(10^8)*3\AA=1.3e-7meter, and
light only takes 5e-16 seconds to travel that distance).

10^15 CPU's * 10^14Hz = 10^29Hz = 10^23MHz. See? It's easy!
Any CPU manufactures out there that wanna employ me?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj