Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.

> > I've read this document, and the Social Contract, though I missed
> > the discussion and vote by being unsubscribed at the time.
> >
> > I've just spent several hours searching through the debian-devel
> > list archives for the discussion & vote thread (it took so long
> > because I'm at the end of a long, slow, and unreliable link).
> > I searched for "vote", "free software", "non-free", and "social
> > contract", without finding the discussion and vote thread.
>
> It took place on debian-private and as Bruce correctly mentioned,
> it is too bad some of us weren't suscribed at that time.
>
> And I completely agree with you. What's the purpose of having main,
> contrib, and non-free areas in the first place? I thought not because
> we had guidelines on what to put in there but to serve some user and
> vendor needs.

Yes, and I'm a user too!

When I use a piece of software, and spend time to learn it, I want
to be sure that:
  1) I'll be able to run it in five year's time on my Gamma++10^23Mhz
     Processor.
  2) I'll be able to use pieces (interfaces, whatever) of that
     software in stuff I write myself.

To be able to do 1), I (or somebody else) will probably have to get
some fixes to the current source (my Gamma++10^23MHz may reveal
bugs any ordinary Pentium doesn't), compile a new binary, and
distribute the sources + binary. So, just allowing distribution
of binary only or what ever may be enough for a CD seller, but
it certainly isn't enough for anyone who wants to be able to
use the software today and in five year's time.

When I get a system with all sorts of goodies that have restricted
copyrights, I'll be tempted to use them, which may make me completely
dependant on the copyright holder of the package (he may be the only
one allowed to release a version for my new Gamma++10^23MHz).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj