Linux sound driver

On Thu, Jul 10, 1997 at 10:21:00PM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> for their own monetary gain. Another case is the Linux kernel sound drivers,
> where you can not get a patch in if it provides a facility that is in the
> commercial sound-driver package.

I'm surprised breaking point hasn't come already for the sound driver;
there's quite a few cards supported only in the commercial driver.
I just bought a PnP SB16 (Vibra16 actually). The demo of the commercial
driver I have set it up just fine. I got it running for free
with isapnptools and OSS/Free. I think a time will come where somebody
will grab the latest OSS/Free and just add the other drivers
from there. The OSS/Linux situation is not the best for the community.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.