Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.

Raul Miller wrote:
> I read it (the informal summary) as it's LGPL unless you are our
> competitor in which case it's GPL.

I don't think they are going to release it under the LGPL or the GPL
 -- they are going to use their own license which excludes their
    competitors.

What really confuses me is their motivation.  It seems that the
only purpose of the license is to prevent a few specific competitors
from offering a GCC based development environment for embedded systems
on top of cygwin32.  They don't intend to make money with this license,
rather, they intend to discriminate against their competitors in a
tiny market.  (How many people really want to develop embedded systems
on a Windows NT system anyways?)

(BTW, Debian could be considered a "compiler suite" - so we're excluded
 too)

Seems like an awfully shortsighted strategy for such a potentially
huge thing.  In GNU-Win32, they've got the potential to bring the
all the benefits of Free Software to the largest installed base
of operating systems in the world.  Why stick it with a lame license?
Especially when it's not going to make them any money.

Cheers,

 - Jim