Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.

On Thu, Jul 10, 1997 at 06:19:19PM -0400, Shaya Potter wrote:

> I agree, but, if the GPL is considered "free" enough for libraries, this
> new license is "free'er".  Put it this way, under the GPL, everybody would
> have to put their code under the GPL.  Under this license, you don't have
> too, unless you're in competition.  However, they don't say what the
> license is, if you are in competition with them.  If that's GPL'd then
> what's the problem.  i.e. if they say the software is LGPL'd for normal
> use, but if the use is deemed to be in competition with them, than they
> are operating under the GPL.  Is that legal?

I'm confused as to why the license status of the compiler
really changes much; the announcement implies that now you can use
Cygwin32 for any project, GPL or not; but the GPL says nothing
about the output of GPL programs anyway. Otherwise,
I would have to release all my graphs from gnuplot as GPL!?
This just changes your license to modify Cygwin32 itself.

I must be cofnused, because the opposite is implied
in the announcement itself, and I would expect Cygnus to understand the GPL.

Hamish

> Just wondering,
>
> Shaya

Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust                    moffatt@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.
http://hamish.home.ml.org/ (PGP key here)             CPOM: [*****     ] 50%
The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.  --Bohr