Configuration files in /usr/etc

Hello,

I haven't kept up with the discussion here too well, so I may well have
missed something.  But here are my views anyway...

I think the idea to have a search path for configuration files is the
best I've seen so far.  After all, we have search paths for both binaries
and man-pages already.

A big advantage I see is that this could (partially) remove the need
for the sysadmin to alter config-files.  Do as the menu package does,
and put the package-supplied config files in one place (/usr/etc
possibly), site-wide custom configs somewhere else (under
/usr/local/etc ?), and machine-local configs under /etc, as normal.
And users would be able to add more directories to their CONFIG_PATH,
like $HOME/.etc, getting per-user config files for free.

I think it would be good to try to get something like this into glibc,
so that other distributions would start to use it, not just keep it
Debian-specific.  The more package authors are willing to add support
for this themselves, the less work maintainers will have to do!

--Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>
PGP public keyprint: 74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2