Re: Help -- confused by Webstandard 3.0

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970708104914.15194A-100000@larry> you wrote:
: I'm in the midst of building a package new to Debian (HyperNews), and I'm
: trying to make it conform to Webstandard 3.0.

: It has CGI scripts which are going into /usr/lib/cgi-bin (actually, a
: subdirectory of that).  It has HTML documentation which is going into
: /usr/doc/hypernews.

Sound good.

: It also needs an area to store new HTML files that are generated by the
: CGI scripts from HTML forms.  This is where I am getting hung up.

I would recommend creating a directory below /var/www for that. F.e.

/var/www/hypernews

: Going strictly by Webstandard 3.0, I should put all of those in
: /usr/doc/hypernews, too (possibly subdirectories).  That seems a little
: odd to me, since they aren't really documentation, and since they could
: eat up a fair amount of disk space as they accumulate.  But I will do that
: if that's really the accepted thing to do.

Put all the read only stuff in /usr/doc/hypernews but the data generated by an
application needs to go into the /var directory. The /usr partition might not
be writable at runtime! It would violate the FHS standard to put runtime generated
files there.