Re: Status of Debian Policy

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
>> I wrote:
>> > I have written and am about to package a modular device driver for a
>> > speech synthesizer.  makedev does not know about this device.
>makedev can do that, if the module registers in /proc/devices.
>no need to hard code the major device number.

Excellent!  As I said,

> I have been programming for quite a while, but kernel modules are
> new to me.  If there is a better way to handle this case, I am open
> to suggestions.

The device registers itself like this:
/proc# cat devices
Character devices:
127 dtlk

At present, I'm creating one special device file, which looks like
this:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     127,   0 Jun 21 10:52 /dev/doubletalk

The driver is for the DoubleTalk PC, which includes three separate
speech generators and at least two tone generators.  My application
uses only the text-to-speech mode.  I forsee a use for a second minor
device number, to access the Linear Predictive Code speech generator.
Data for all the other modes is written in the same way as
text-to-speech, and modes are changed with escape sequences.  I intend
to support all the modes eventually, but have not chosen a second
name.  Again, I'm open to suggestions.

>From my reading of the man pages, I guess I would ask for this
addition to /etc/devinfo (though I'm not sure about the class):

char (std=dtlk) {doubletalk (tty) : 0}

                        - Jim Van Zandt