Re: Recompiling packages for Pentium.

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Shaya Potter wrote:

> > > I'm in favour of this - as long as the packages compiled for the 386 are
> > > still available.  I've got a few 386's and 486's that are running Debian.
> >
> > Could someone please confirm weather pgcc actually makes use of any
> > pentium specific instructions?

> I don't think that their are many "pentium specific instructions."  The

There are some that would be usefull in application level code, but not
many.

> major additions to x86 instruction set came with MMX.  The way the pentium
> is faster is that if you load the pipeline right, and do other stuff, the
> pentium has features that speed it along, if you don't, it's probably hit
> or miss.

Exactly, 'P5' code will run 100% fine on a 386, but it won't be quite as
fast as 386 code. Depending on the program it might be just as fast or
alot slower.

Optimization is really alot of black majic these days :> Anyhow, I wonder
the benifit of recompiling everything for P5? How much code do we have
that sits on a P5's CPU for more than a second with straight computations?

Jason