Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

> So you want me to "move them back and delete them here" just because you
> "really don't  want to copy conffiles into /etc every time you install a
> new program" ?!
>
> I also happen to be a sysadm. and the reason in the 1st place I considered
> moving from Slackware to an other distribution was the scatering of the
> conffiles (slackware have conffiles in /etc, /usr/lib, /var/lib, etc...)
>
> I think having conffiles outside /etc:
>
> 1/ is not FSSTND/FHS compliant.
>
> 2/ is a feature interesting for very few people (not to many people use
> /usr NFS mounted, not to mention it's slow)
>
> 3/ makes configuration backups a nighmare.
>
> 4/ I don't think it's wise/fair to ask our users to "move here and delete
> there" because a few people happen to use NFS /usr mounts.
>
> 	If you want to administrate a large number of machines, cfengine
> is the solution, moving config files around is not.

I  can't agree more.

I just don't understand the reason why this thread is so active. I
can't beleive so many people experienced the problems of poor sysadmin
over the network of 100's hosts with NFS mounted /usr, who prefer to
write tons of messages instead of simple script to automate hard task
of updating /etc on different machines.
(Sorry Vadim if this offends you, I don't mean it. This is just the
level of my understanding.)

We do have the problems which would affect all of us though.
What is that story of compiling package in -altdev environment using
altgcc with result depending on libc6 libraries? (Joost ? )

This might be much more important in current situation, 'cause
it would affect ALL users and not only large network sysadmins.

Thank you.

Alex Y.

> 	Cordialement,
>
> --
> -     ** Linux **         +-------------------+             ** WAW **     -
> -  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -
> -  Debian/GNU Linux       +-------------------+      http://www.waw.com/  -
> -  http://www.debian.org/           |            WAW  (33) 4 91 81 21 45  -

   _
 _( )_
(     (o___
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)