Re: emacs won't install if /usr/local is read-only

On 5 Jul 1997, Mark Eichin wrote:

> what needs a review are the outstanding inconsistencies between dpkg
> and the policy guide. (The guide should of course win :-)

I'd say that the guide's stated policy requiring packages to create
subdirs in /usr/local needs review WRT the question of whether we
really want to make it illegal to have a read-only filesystem on
/usr/local during package installs.  On this question, I'd come
down in favor of /usr/local being the province of the sysadmin,
and say that debian shouldn't interfere with her making /usr/local
read-only if she so desires.