Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> It will (if it will exist) have one function:
> FILE *confopen(const char *path);
> It will just try to fopen /etc/path, if it fails -- fopen
> /usr/etc/path, if it fails, return NULL.  Making a shared lib for it
> is ridiculous, as is adding it to libc *shrug*.

It sounds like this would reduce the chances of a persons with
debian systeng able to pick up linux-but-not-debian sources and
having them produce a functioning program with an out-of-the-box
compile.

I think we should avoid making debian a wierd variant of linux,
requiring debian-specific programming practices.