Re: The TWIN stuff from willows

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Erik B. Andersen wrote:

> > On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Erik B. Andersen wrote:
> >
> > > I attempted to pack up the TWIN stuff last night, and found the
> > > process a bit challenging.  Does anyone know of a really good example
> > > of packing up a library?  Preferably something that follows all the
> > > rules, and obeys all the latest things that ought to be obeyed, etc...
> > > Also, was it resolved that shared libraries no longer need `chmod a+x`?
> >
> > The next policy will have this changed. You can use mode 644 for it.
> >
> > > As i currently understand the policy manual I guess I will be creating
> > > three packages:  twin-dev twin-bin and twin.
> >
> > What's the purpose of the "twin-bin" package of you have another "twin"
> > package?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --                 Christian Schwarz
>
> I checked the online Debian Policy manual, and it stated in section 3.7:
>
>   If your package has some run-time support programs which use the shared
>   library you must not put them in the shared library package. If you do
>   that then you won't be able to install several versions of the shared
>   library without getting filename clashes. Instead, either create a third
>   package for the runtime binaries (this package might typically be named
>   libraryname-runtime - note the absence of the soname in the package name)
>   or if the development package is small include them in there.
>
> I assumed that that ment that executable programs, such as the "xwin"
> windows emulator that is based on the twin libs should be in a seperate
> package.  If it is better to put it somewhere else, let me know, and I will
> do it that way.

Oh, ok. I did not know that "twin" includes a shared library.

(I'm not sure if it is useful to have different versions of the twin libs
installed at the same time. If so, you should probably name it "twin1.0",
or whatever version it has, and "twin1.0-dev".)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com