Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

>>>>>>>> On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Vadim wrote:

 Vadim>
 Vadim> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Lalo Martins wrote:
 Vadim>
 Vadim> > On Jul 2, Vadim Vygonets wrote > Let's come to a solution.
 Vadim> >
 Vadim> > I don't see the problem. FSSTND already addresses this very
 Vadim> > well.
 Vadim> >
 Vadim> > 3.Have the config files in /usr/etc, search _only_ in /etc,
 Vadim> > make symlinks. This is what FSSTND proposes. This also lets
 Vadim> > us put the real files in /usr/share/etc or /usr/local/etc;
 Vadim> > symlinks are easy. And dpkg can handle this, I believe.
 Vadim>
 Vadim> Again: don't touch /etc. You may have hundreds of
 Vadim> workstations, so do you want to put the symlinks in /etc on
 Vadim> each workstation manually? Or how? I want to use the program
 Vadim> immediately after I install it, from each workstation. Must I
 Vadim> repeat it once again? LOOK AT OTHER UNICES!
 Vadim>
 Vadim> Vadik.
 Vadim>
 Vadim> -- Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org *
 Vadim> Unix admin The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...
 Vadim> everything. -- Arizona Dream
 Vadim>
 Vadim> -- TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word
 Vadim> "unsubscribe" to debian-devel-request@lists.debian.org .
 Vadim> Trouble?e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .

I think Vadik is 100% right here, debian is absolutely unusable when
it comes to large networks with /usr shared. It is annoying even
when you have 4 computers (small ISP where I have a part time job),
and of course it is absolutely unacceptable when you have 1000's of
boxes (Hebrew University). I think we should work out some kind of
solution (I personally agree with network-mounted-config-files
solution).

thks,
borik
--