Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

Hrm. I forgot to follow this thread after I contributed :-) But _please_
don't CC me, I don't want to waste bandwidth getting two copies of each
reply! (I pay for my local phone calls)

On Jul 3, Boris D. Beletsky wrote

>  Vadim>
>  Vadim> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Lalo Martins wrote:
>  Vadim> > 3.Have the config files in /usr/etc, search _only_ in /etc,
>  Vadim> > make symlinks. This is what FSSTND proposes. This also lets
>  Vadim> > us put the real files in /usr/share/etc or /usr/local/etc;
>  Vadim> > symlinks are easy. And dpkg can handle this, I believe.
>  Vadim>
>  Vadim> Again: don't touch /etc. You may have hundreds of
>  Vadim> workstations, so do you want to put the symlinks in /etc on
>  Vadim> each workstation manually? Or how? I want to use the program
>  Vadim> immediately after I install it, from each workstation. Must I
>  Vadim> repeat it once again? LOOK AT OTHER UNICES!

I use Linux because I believe it's *way* superior to other unices. And one
of the things that make this superiority is FSSTND - I know where to find
files.

> I think Vadik is 100% right here, debian is absolutely unusable when
> it comes to large networks with /usr shared.

I see a quite radical, but probably working sollution here; have a
completely different setup for non-/usr workstations.

Yes I will get flamed for this. But look. _If_ you want to add something
that works in /bin /sbin you already _will_ have to go on each workstation
right? So we could set up something special here.

A non-/usr workstation could be set up by default with anything we expect to
find in /bin /sbin and have some stuff (can't remember an exemple now)
configured different. It could also apply the patch you guys proposed
(likely in the kernel or libc [non-usr-libcxxx???]) so that:

- if a program looks for a file in /etc
- and it does not exist
- and /usr is already mounted
- and file exists in /usr/etc

it works like a "transparent" symlink.

Also I don't know if Debian's "/etc/init.d" and "/etc/rc*" policies would
work for non-/usr workstations on boot.

Just an idea... probably most packages used here wouldn't need modification,
but what goes is a different _set_ of packages.

Oh yes... /var/lib/dpkg would also be a problem ;-)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
              I walk the maze of moments...