Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

> Have packages look at /etc as now, but by default have /etc/<package>.conf
> be a symbolic link to /usr/etc/<package>.conf.  Then the read-only or
> site-wide configuration will be in force until the administrator of
> the local machine replaces the symbolic link in /etc with a configuration
> specific to that machine.

This seems like a good idea.  Note, however, that dpkg must understand this.
We don't want local files to get removed and replaced with symlinks each
time the package gets upgraded.  What does dpkg do with a symlink "conffile"?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )